Applications Open for Emergency Medical Dispatchers
MEMS is currently seeking motivated individuals for Emergency Medical Dispatcher positions. Applications are open with a start date of April 24, 2023. EMDs perform emergency and non-emergency call-taking and system status management in the MEMS Communications Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. Primary duties include answering incoming calls and dispatching emergency medical vehicles and responders.
Performs emergency and non-emergency call taking and system status management in the Communications Center. Primary duties include answering incoming calls and dispatching emergency medical vehicles and responders.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- 1 year EMT or Communications experience preferred
- Obtain Healthcare Provider CPR certification from MEMS’ instructor during the first two weeks of employment
- Obtain IAEMD certification on initial attempt or qualify for re-test, unless already certified with IAEMD
- Must maintain certifications by attending required training and testing.
- Knowledge of geography of service area and ability to read map
- Knowledge of communications-related equipment
- Knowledge of MEMS' Communications Department policies and procedures
- Ability to type effectively and perform accurate data entry
- Ability to remain calm during stressful situations
- Ability to speak clearly
- Ability to present caring and professional image over the telephone
- Ability to interact well with others
- Generally works a 12 hour rotating shift that includes weekends and holidays.
- Constant exposure to stress caused by fluctuating workloads while dealing with people in crisis situations
Physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of these jobs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Physical Requirements – While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use fingers, hands and arms to handle, reach and/or operate basic office equipment, objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Arkansas driver’s license and acceptable driving record, as defined by MEMS' insurance carrier.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
EMD Training consists of approximately 2 months of in class instruction that will prepare you to be an Emergency Medical Dispatcher.
Dispatchers work out of the MEMS Headquarters in Little Rock.
Starting rate for a full-time EMD is $33,540/year plus addtional departmental stipend.
Medical Insurance: Employee only coverage starts at $24 per pay period.
Dental and Vision: MEMS pays 100% of employee only premium.
Retirement Plan: 401(a) and 457 Plans with generous match.
Life Insurance: $50,000 basic life policy at no cost.
Disability Insurance: Long-term disability coverage paid by MEMS.
Other available benefits:
- Uniform allowance
- Generous PTO plan
- Onsite fitness center
- Employee Assistance Program
- Smoking cessation support
- Supplemental life insurance and short-term disability insurance at group rates